Welcome to Tim-Quit-His-Job!

Okay so out of school I had a Fortune 500 sales Job, worked from home, had managers who took me out golfing/wining/dining, and by the age of 23 had sole responsibility for three of the largest global retailers...and then "Quit." This blog is my justification to the nay-sayers, supporters, and most of all me.
Join me in my unorthodox, action-packed, mind-bending, and positive-vibe-driven sebaticle where I attempt to seek out my own personal legend in the confines of this crazy universe the only way I know how...taking a running leap to the edge of the cliff, closing my eyes, double fist pump to the sky screaming GERONIMO!!!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Monster on Demand - Are You Fucking Kidding Me?

(This really set off a tick in me, and seeing as it relates to "employment", and a contrast to my themed site, I thought this post could find a comfortable place to nestle in the blog in case there are a few lost souls actually trying to find a job...please don't take this approach...)

Unemployment is at 10% in the United States, David Copperfield is hiding at the New York Stock Exchange magically making hard-working American's 401k's vanish before their eyes, recruitment has ceased, while the money markets and capital freeze into an iceage of insecurity...BUT never fear, Monster.com and Comcast have paired up to ensure you are now able to find a job, from the comfort of your couch!

You know what, I had to run this commerical back a few times the other night to make sure this wasnt one of those SNL parody commericials...nope this was legit. Some of you might be saying, "ahh dude what a great idea, now I can watch Entourage, smoke a blunt, crack a brick (beer), AND look for a job at the same time! Thank God I dont have to have my laptop in front of me during the Braves game to jobhunt, it was taking up way too much room on my foldout table in front of me that I use to place my microwave dinners and ashtray on. Or even better; Woman walks home from working her daycare, water-aerobics, and teaching jobs to find her husband (who was recently laid off 3 weeks ago because of a Reducition in Force) watching the Band of Brothers marathon that he just could not miss. Woman - "Damnit Frank, I'm out here working three jobs to support our family, and you're sitting on your ass, watching this Saving Private Ryan bullshit! Husband - " Oh contrare, hunny, matter of fact, I've been looking for jobs all day, look! I just use my little remote control here, scroll around, and submit a resume with a click of a button!"

This is the EXACT reason why some folks are having a tough time finding jobs, this is a depiction of what our society has become. *Let me throw a disclaimer out there to make sure that all you who are conciously sifting through every jobsite or person you know to help move you towards re-establishing a career, this blogpost is not for you, keep on it.* So many Americans today, especially generation Y/Millenials are not used to hardship. We want everything given to us, have our dream job with our dream salary and live the American Dream (I just heard the annoying theme song of "My Sweeeet Sixteeeen" ringing in my ears). We try to find excuses every day for why we lost/cant find a job. Whether it's pointing fingers at our previous employer, WallStreet, MainStreet, BackStreetBoys, The Daym Chinese, or whoever else we can find to be the scapegoat to the Animal Farm we live in today, the truth is we are pointing our fingers 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

We try to say to tell ourselves we are doing everything we can, applied to a few "internet websites," called a few old friends, or turned in a few resumes down the street. But how proactive are you truly being? I cannot tell you how many people I have spoken from my previous job alone who have friends' companies who are still hiring and cannot fill the positions! Every single person who got laid off of my job, found another in a short amount of time....aaaaaallll by being proactive, positive, and devoting hours of work each day calling every contact from the past 10 years, tweaking each resume to market themselves for each SPECIFIC opportunity, leveraging their verbage, learning all they can about the companies they are applying to, as well as referencing new press releases to show how amped they are about the direction the company is going!

Lesson Learned: You see, employers want smart, hardworking, excited, energetic, positive and proactive new hires...that's the differentiator, and employers can smell it. So tell me, how focused and strategic are you being in searching for your next career...sitting on your ass flipping through Sportscenter/Monster.com ads? Trust me, I get that this is another channel of communication, and a way for Monster to get more money for posting Ad's and Comcast...well, is a networking giant who will jump on any opportunity to diversify their services. Cheers to them, but I can just hear the kiddies now, "Shut up mom, I AM looking for a job right now! And bring me down some pizza rolls GodDammit! And one for Billy too, he's helping me decide my future!"

No comments:

Post a Comment